The Laboratory of Geodynamic Modelling is the result of a group of geophysicists and geologists nucleated in 1998 at Geosciences Barcelona linked by the interest on lithospheric-scale processes and their interaction with the processes occurring on the Earth's surface.
The Laboratory of Geodynamic Modelling, established in 2016, offers the experience on several codes and on the numerical modeling techniques. It is equipped with a workstation (MITE) and it also works within Barcelona Supercomputing Center. The Laboratory offers:
1. High performance computing applied to geodynamic and microdynamic processes.
2. Know-how in the study the lithosphere and upper mantle structure, and the geodynamic and microdynamic processes that take place on the lithosphere-upper mantle linked with the surface. As well as glacial/polar ice processes.
3. The Laboratory of Geodynamic Modelling has a group of software developed and used within the group during the last 25 years:
- TISC, flexural isostasy, surface processes (erosion/sedimentation). Planform (pseudo-3D).
- tAo, flexural isostasy, surface processes (erosion/sedimentation). Cross-section (pseudo-2D).
- LITMOD2D and LITMOD3D, integrated geophysical-petrological modeling for lithosphere structure.
- CAGES, thermal and geophysical modeling for lithosphere structure.
- Uhuru, crustal and thermal lithosphere deformation. Geodynamic.
- ELLE, development of microstructures during tectonic and/or metamorphic processes
4. Expertise in using other geodynamic academic tools:
6. Experience in developing scientific numerical codes
7. Development of an Augmented Reality sandbox for science diffusion purposes on the evolution of topography.
- Scientific director: Ivone Jiménez-Munt