Our modern technological society demands a detailed and precise knowledge of the subsurface of our planet to satisfy the ever growing need of raw materials. The Geosciences must therefore focus on the development of new and cutting-edge methodologies and on the exploration and exploitation of raw mineral and energy resources following sustainable and environmentally friendly policies, assessing and mitigating the potential risks and adverse environmental impacts derived of these operations.
Our research focuses on:
- Development of new geological and geophysical strategies aimed at both private companies and public sector to meet their demand on valuable and strategic natural raw material and high- and low-enthalpy energy resources.
- Multidisciplinary studies of analogues of hydrocarbon reservoirs in compressional and extensional systems.
- Multidisciplinary characterization of the formation and evolution of orebodies, at regional and local scale, for their sustainable exploitation.
- Multidisciplinary characterization of the main geological structures to aid in the construction of large infrastructures, such as tunnels, roads and oil pipelines, following sustainable protocols.
- Prospecting of geological storage sites, for energy, hazardous wasteor CO2 and monitoring of those storage operations.
Challenge coordinator: Ramon Carbonell