European Plate Observing System - Nodo Español de EPOS
EPOS (European Plante Observing System) is currently the only European infrastructure for multidisciplinary and global research in Earth Sciences, that helps specialists to cross the traditional boundaries of their respective academic disciplines effectively.
EPOS us a unique portal through which a wide variety of observations on planet Earth are integrated and, as such, is essential to face challenges such as the sustainable use and management of the subsoil or the monitoring of processes and hazards of natural or anthropogenic nature. EPOS provides, not only access to raw data, but also to data products, services, software and access to facilities and infrastructures.
EPOS integrates several hundred research centres distributed among 25 European countries, including Spain, that aim to observe and measure the internal and dynamic structure of the planned and, in particular, the European plate. The EPOS project included in the 2008 ESFRI roadmap, was recognized in 2016 as a priority for its implementation, for its strategic relevance in the European Research Area and was constituted as an ERIC on October 30, 2018.
Currently, Spain has observational instrumentation and surveillance networks that are operated and maintained by research groups and/or institutions, as well as leading groups in the processing and interpretation of these data. But, it should be noted the absence of a large unique scientific and technical infrastructure (ICTS) dedicated to Earth observation similar to the ones existing in many other countries of our scientific/cultural environment. The present EPOS SpN network seeks to:
- Consolidate the Spanish EPOS node (EPOS-Spain) with the involvement of all participating institutions.
- Establish an organized structure of EPOS-Spain that allows coordinating activities and initiatives and defining the roadmap of actions to be carried out
- Implement and/or consolidate the Spanish nodes of the 10 thematic cores services
- Strengthen relationships with other international organizations and programs with convergent and complementary objectives (e.g. EarthScope) in Earth Sciences regarding the actions and initiatives that are being carried out at European level, especially those directly related to EPOS
- Explore the generation of connections between ICTSs, the interdisciplinary Thematic Platforms of the CSIC (e.g. PTI TELEDETECT) and the Spanish nodes of other ESFRIs (e.g. with EMSO), to expand the potential and use of EPOS
- Promote the use of EPOS in national and international research and training programs and initiatives
- Enhance the digital service base of national institutions contributing to EPOS
By supporting the consolidation of EPOS-Spain, this network also seeks to strengthen the role and importance of Spain, and its participating research groups, in the development and implementations of EPOS; increasing as much as possible the strategic positioning of Spain.
- Adelina Geyer
- José Luis Fernández Turiel
Project Leader: Adelina Geyer
Red estratégica de investigación: RED2022-134516-B